This recipe is inspired from Little Spice Jar’s New Orleans Gumbo with Shrimp. While very informative, I changed it up a tad and made it more id friendly.
1/2 cup of Vegetable oil
1/2 cup of Flour
1/2 Yellow Pepper, diced
1/2 Green Pepper, diced
1 medium onion, diced
3 Stalks of Celery, diced
6 cloves of garlic, minced
3 bay leaves
8 ounces of andouille sausage
1 tablespoon of Cajun seasoning
4 cups of low sodium chicken broth
1 can (14.5 ounces) of stewed tomatoes
1 1/2 pounds of raw shrimp
2 teaspoons of Gumbo File (or all purpose spice)
Quinoa or white rice
- Start with setting up your Mise En Plait – make sure all your ingredients are prepped in from of you to make this easier
- In a large dutch oven pan, start the roux on a high heat, continue to stir for 10-15 minutes
- Add the onions, peppers, and celery. Continue to stir for about 8-10 minutes so the vegetables don’t stick.
- Add the garlic and the sausage and the bay leaves. continue to stir 1-2 minutes.
- Add the Cajun seasoning, chicken broth and the stewed tomatoes and bring to a simmer before lowering the heat to medium- low and cover. Let it simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Then add the shrimp and allow to continue to simmer for 15 more minutes
- Add the Gumbo file (all purpose spice) and stir. Remove the bay leaves.
- Serve over quinoa or rice